Thursday 7 March 2013

Five in Five Update: How far would you go to get out of a date?



Last night I decided to treat myself to Grill'd (again). With only a few days until the end of the Five in Five dating challenge, I thought it would be a really good opportunity to try out my burger shop pick up line. But when I looked around at all the couples and 17 year olds, I decided to tuck that pick up line away for another day.


As I waited for my order I started to contemplate how on earth I was going to get out of doing a dance class with Potential Date #5! Fake a kidnapping?... Break a leg? I came to the conclusion that there was no getting out of it, and the only thing that needed getting out of was my comfort zone.

Aside from humiliating myself on a dance floor, another thing far beyond my comfort zone is approaching someone random for a date. As I left Grill'd, Kung Fu Fighter Burger in hand, and headed out of the rain, towards my car, I noticed a handsome young lad coming my way on the escalator. Was this my moment? How would I get his attention? ...

 
I put on my confident, 'I can take on the world' look and stepped onto the escalator... and slipped... straight onto my butt. Legs (and burger) in the air. The thud was so loud that everyone came running to my aid. Yes, even above-mentioned handsome young lad. He helped get me up off the escalator before the bottom and carried my now-squashed Kung Fu Fighter burger as I waddled slowly towards my car. With a busted elbow, an aching lower back and a bruised ego, all I could think about was getting home and hiding. He offered to drive me home... I refused. He asked if he could give me his number so I could call him when I got home safely... I refused. Instead, I kindly thanked him for his help, and sent him on his way. 

My immediate thought as I drove off was: 

"Wow! It looks like the universe doesn't want me going dancing after all'. 

That thought was quickly followed by: 

"Why oh WHY didn't I take his number?!? Or at least taken a photo and called that Date #5!?"

Hopefully I left a good enough impression in my clumsy disorientated state that he'll decide to track me down... for a date... before tomorrow. No, this is not far-fetched. All he'd have to do is take the shirt he was wearing to forensics and have them do a DNA test on the blood from my elbow... then he'd know who I was and could send me a Facebook friend request... easy! And totally do-able in 24 hours.


Aside from playing slip and slide on escalators, I have been busy tying up lose ends for the last week of the Five in Five challenge. I wanted to fit in another date before "Potential Date #5' on Saturday in case it didn't count. Here's where we are at:

  • 4 dates done, 1 date to go
  • Email sent to charitable colleague asking for after work date tomorrow night (no response - he's most likely away on a course ... or pretending to be)
  • Lined up a friend to be Plan B Date #5 in event of 'no response' from above colleague
  • Plan B Date #5 is now bedridden with a bad case of the Man Flu
  • Dancing Date with Date #5 still stands
  • Incident report lodged with centre management - will attempt to get a copy of the video footage for entertainment purposes (and to show Batman that I can do 'stunts' too)
  • Five in Five Challenge (officially) ends in just over 24 hours!!
  • $245 in the donation kitty - thank you!!
  • Several votes have been received for who gets the second date (including self-nominations from the dates themselves!!) - send your nominations in now via Facebook.

            
With the Five in Five challenge quickly drawing to a close, now is the time to donate!

To those who have read my blog, helped find dates, donated, provided dating advice or picked me up off the escalator when an attempt at getting a date went pear-shaped ... thank you! Your kindness is not wasted!!




No comments:

Post a Comment