Monday 4 March 2013

Five in Five update: Date #4 Simulation Time

Friday night was Date #4. This was another completely 'blind' date and I think the set-up went something like this...

I told my colleagues that I needed some single eligible bachelors for my Five in Five charity dating challenge. One of those colleagues told her husband. That husband told his colleagues. One of those colleagues told her husband. That husband then told his colleagues. And one of those colleagues said, "That sounds like a job for me".


A few days later I got a call informing me I was being taken on a date... wine and tapas at South Bank with a Simulator Technician.  Again, I had to keep my wits about me. An extra glass of wine and I may have accidentally slipped an extra 't' into his job title, sending out the signal that I was inviting him back for "coffee" and we all know that's not how you do a first date... with a complete stranger... for charity.... yesss CHARITY. Contrary to what my brother may tell you, that is the reason behind all of this 'frivolous dating' (as he calls it)...


The Five in Five dating challenge ends this Friday 8th March, and together the participants have raised a whopping $47, 141 for local charities that work to break the cycle of social disadvantage. $245 of that has come from my team of brilliant colleagues, friends and family. If you haven't already donated and want to, you can do so until Friday via my Sponsorship Page. Donations are tax deductible and can even be anonymous if you so wish.


It turned out that Date #4 had spent the day at a charity golf day on the Gold Coast, making me his second charity case for the day. We shared stories about the different things we have done for charity. One year, Date #4 was involved in a competition involving the Bridge to Brisbane fun run. The sick kids who he was raising funds for got to choose what outfit he would wear for the 10km run. Even as a pink fairy in a tutu and glittery wings, he completed the race in good time. That was possibly the same year I was on the sideline, cheering on the competitors to keep them motivated and inspired...





It got me thinking about just how far out of my comfort zone I'd go to support a good cause...


And then came the call from potential Date #5...


I call him 'Potential Date #5' only because our schedules don't allow us to meet before the challenge ends on Friday. So I've said yes to the date BUT really do need to get another one in before Friday. Anyway... this guy is my boss's massage therapist. He said he wanted to go on a fun date, something I hadn't done before (I could feel my comfort zone shrinking...). Then he said it, "let's go dancing...". What I heard was ...





My brother is familiar with the Brisbane salsa dancing scene so I asked him if he knew this guy and yes he does. Not only does this guy know how to dance... he's Australian Salsa Solo Champion.... So now, it'll just be ME humiliating MYSELF on the dance floor... ahhh the things you do for charity :)





Here is the photographic evidence of Date #4. He decided to leave his pink tutu at home for this charity event.





There are so many people doing great things to help others. Two of my friends deserve a special mention here.... 

Cheryl: I met Cheryl when I was teaching English in Japan. She is currently working on a volunteer project created after the 2011 earthquake in Japan. It's called Peace by Piece and is all about building community through art.


Zac: Zac is a fellow yogi and he's about to take his yoga off the mat and onto the saddle. He's participating in the epic Rio Tinto Ride to Conquer Cancer. Check out his page for all the details.


If you think helping others is sexy, click here . The more times you click and donate, the sexier you become. You should try it!









No comments:

Post a Comment