Saturday 2 March 2013

Five in Five Update: Date #2 'Bring your A-game'


On Thursday night, I headed to Victoria Park Golf Course for a game of Putt Putt with Date #2 (which was actually Date #3). 

To set the scene... Date #2 had previously worked in my office and left before I started working there. Within a week of finding out I was single, my colleagues were on a mission to set us up. They were convinced we'd make the perfect couple and, despite us having never met, had pretty much planned our wedding and named our first born child...eeeeek! One day he stopped by for a visit and I could see why my colleagues had rated him so highly... he was obviously quite the catch.

Fast forward a few months and here I am in the office, telling the girls I've signed up to do Five in Five - Five dates in five weeks with five different peo... I hadn't even finished explaining it and my colleague Gai had already emailed Date #2 the details. He was in. 

We exchanged a few text messages and the date was set - Putt Putt if the weather was fine, bowling and a burger if it was raining.

Now you already know from my previous post that my father is a big fan of this guy. Date #2 is a bus driver and stunt man, and after my dad's recent 'stunt' falling down an escalator backwards at Central Station, he thought they'd be kindred spirits. My best friend is pretty keen for her 'almost born' son to have an Uncle Batman and my colleagues 'just want us both to be happy'.

With pressure coming at me from all angles I knew I had to bring my A-game (pun intended)... 

Those who know me well, know I have a pretty witty sense of humour and a love of language. One of my 'things' is that I often interpret what people say literally and end up in a fit of giggles. And when you're going to play putt putt with a very handsome bus-driving stunt man, there are many things that could be said and taken out of context. We created a 'whatever you say Kirsty, don't say this' list, which included:

"Do you have a favourite route?" (bus driver)

And due to my readership (hi Mum and Dad) I'll stop that list right there.

So with a long list of what not to say and a whole lot of external expectations on my mind, I was paralysed and  didn't play my A-game (in Putt Putt or dating) but I did have a lot of fun... and who knows, maybe I'll get a second go... 

If you think Date #2 should give me a second chance to drop the expectations and play my dating A-game, donate here ...


p.s. As we putted our way around the course, we chatted a bit about dating and how to pick up. We have both had the experience of a random pick up - him on the bus, and me at the shopping centre. We both gave credit where credit was due and followed through with a date. There's something to be said for having the guts to pick up. 

Here's a little diagram to show just how simple it is...

And now for the PROGRESS CHECK:
  • 4 dates done, 1 to go (Date #4 blog coming soon)
  • Date #5 scheduled for next Saturday - this one is completely out of my comfort zone... watch this space
  • Financial goal reached - currently $245 in the donation kitty! Donations close on Friday so hop to it!





No comments:

Post a Comment